Who and what is Therianthropy?

Who and what is Therianthropy?

Firstly, before getting into the meat of this article, we would like to extend our thanks towards Skaw for bringing this aspect of the otherkin community to our attention from a recent Twitter post of his. Many of the staff members here at GekkoFyre Networks were already aware of this aspect, regarding Therian/s/thropy. But for those that are unaware of what this concern of spirituality both is and involves, strap yourselves in and read onwards!

The modern form of Therianthropy is characterised by an individual possessing a deep feeling and personal belief that they are a non-human animal, whether in spirit, past life, or some other form along those lines. It should be noted at this point that Therianthropes are strictly Human and understand fully well that they have Human bodies physically. But most Therians identify as an Earthly animal they feel a close connection with, typically in spirit, which can include the entire spectrum of all that is alive today, along with anything currently extinct, or even prehistoric in nature. This is what tends to separate a Therianthrope from an otherkin, the latter of which has a belief that they are a mystical being of some sort, such as the form of a Dragon (i.e. Dragonkin).

The Therian symbol, as displayed below, is represented as a ‘theta-delta’ in its most widely depicted form. According to Skaw, the symbol consists of two Greek letters layered on-top of each other; the Delta and Theta characters. Both characters are typically depicted in the same colour against a single contrasting value.

He goes on to say that they may be further stylised by intertwining the letters. The theta-delta was created in 2003 on an early version of The WereList forums and the intent, as Skaw mentions, was to make a universal Therian symbol for the entire community, which after considering various ideas, the theta-delta was henceforth born.

Unfortunately, the original forum thread concerning this topic disappeared in a server crash a few months later and almost all of the web-pages explaining the idea of the theta-delta symbol were lost, with no archives or backups having been made.

One of its original uses was to be optionally worn (as an identifying symbol), so that other Therians would recognise the wearer as another individual with traits similar to themselves, and not feel awkward about starting a conversation concerning Therianthropy.

In Skaw’s closing remarks, we see many adaptations of the original and basic theta-delta design across the Internet, with it often being turned into unique, one-off charms with personal significance to the owner and individual wearing it. The colours of the theta-delta design are supposed to represent the following:

“The green symbolizes (sic) beings of the land, blue those of water, and white those of flight, or in the air. The black symbolizes the unknown, AKA the reason we feel the way we do.”

Slavaseshbetween, 2015 – 2016.

We hope this teaching/history lesson has been enjoyable and if you’ve made it this far in order to be reading this last paragraph, we would sincerely appreciate if you clicked the “Like” button! We, of course, owe our due thanks to Skaw for originally providing this information. It should also be said that Shadow D. Wolf provided some complimentary information too, although we are unable to provide a link to his social media due to safe-for-work issues. We encourage you to search out for the hyperlinks in this article which contain a rich assortment of important information concerning this very topic on Therianthropy.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Christopher McGill

Author by : Christopher McGill

A proud Red/Rainbow Fluffy Derg whom, despite rarely initiating conversation, does find immense joy in socializing with those that are close and new. A spiritualist by nature. I enjoy working with servers as a system administrator and radio transceivers as an individual licensed with amateur radio. My nationally registered callsign is VK3VKK! I love to play video games especially of the business simulation and tycoon variety while I also run my own company/organization in real life called GekkoFyre Networks. Thank you for stopping by my profile! ^,==,^